It’s Twilight Week! You’ve probably heard. Not only is Stephenie Meyer making rare public appearances, the author pulled off a big reveal yesterday by announcing that she had re-written Twilight, switching the genders of Bella and Edward. We mean. We’ve loved the books since the beginning, and we would never have guessed that! Stephenie, you’re still surprising us, even ten years later. In honor of the books that have done so much for the YA genre — love ’em or hate ’em, and we unabashedly love them — here are our top reasons we love Twilight.
1. Bella Swan was a lovely outline of a heroine, perfect for us to project ourselves onto, so that we could finally find out what it would be like to have the hottest guy in school totally obsessed with us.
I just want to watch you sleep, okay?
2. Twilight gave us Edward Cullen, the ultimate YA hero. Was his obsession a little much? Perhaps. But if the hottest guy around is the only one who recognizes your inherent amazingness, well, then who are we to judge?
3. By extension, we also got Robert Pattison out of the deal! Sure, he’d already been Cedric in Harry Potter. But now he was ours.
4. Remember, in a twist that proves truth really is stranger than fiction, Twilight also gave us Christian Grey. So that was nice. We mean:
5. If you were into slightly pushy werewolves, there was Jacob Black for you. (We will be Team Edward FOREVER!)
Deal with it, dude. The heart wants what it wants.
6. The Twilight books also convinced publishing that we really liked reading about vampires, giving us so much goodness. Vampire Academy, House of Night, Morganville Vampires … we love you all!
7. Truly, the Twilight saga and Stephenie Meyer helped the world realize that YA fans were here, and that we wanted books about teens — of all kinds. The success of Harry Potter, Edward and Bella helped the genre we love so much grow into what it is today. And for that, we say, thank you, Stephenie JK. We owe ya one.
The Twilight Tenth Annivesary Dual Edition is out now! You can snag your very own copy here: Amazon | BN | Kobo | iBooks | All Romance. And for more YA awesomeness, be sure to visit our Everything YA page.