Okay, let’s get something straight right now: if you’re not watching Reign, your life is not complete. It’s true. Sure, it’s not historically accurate (it’s The CW, people), but it’s basically a historical romance reader’s dream come true. The show follows a young Mary, Queen of Scots, as she navigates French court, protecting her people and falling in love. With gorgeous costumes, dramatic storylines, feisty heroines and plenty of leading men to help provide the swoons, what’s not to like? The show’s in its second season, but season one is on Netflix Instant Streaming, so you should binge watch it as soon as you’re done reading this. Still not sure? Well, here are ten reasons you should be watching:
1. Our leading lady, Mary, Queen of Scots, doesn’t let anyone push her around just because she’s a woman. She demands the respect she deserves.
2. There are gorgeous dresses.
3. And gorgeous men.
Including Lord Condé, aka Hottie McHotPants, from season two!
4. Mary and her ladies are true BFFs and a great example of female friendship.
5. Anne of Green Gables is all grown up and lays down the law like nobody’s business.
6. Kenna, one of Mary’s ladies-in-waiting, isn’t afraid to explore her sexuality, whether it be with the king, another woman, or even herself. (If you recall, Reign is the show everyone was talking about last year in regards to Kenna masturbating.)
7. There’s kissing!
8. There’s a bit of magic.
This is Nostradamus. He has visions.
9. Greer and Leith have the best upstairs/downstairs romance.
10. Judge Amy (Amy Brenneman) plays Mary’s mother.
So get on over to Netflix, so you can catch up in no time and be merry.
I know, you can’t resist it anymore, can you? Go forth and become addicted, and don’t miss all new episodes of Reign Thursday nights on the CW at 9/8c.